Thursday, September 9, 2010

The dermatology, eye, ear, nose, and throat module or what I will be studying for the next week

We are now fully into our clinical medicine modules, which essentially means less sleep. We were advised to enjoy the summer and warned that the fall semester will be more demanding. If you read the title of this post and say to yourself "boy, that looks like a lot info", believe me, it is. The nice thing about the module system is that everything we are learning pertains to the subject of the week (or 2 weeks). No more primers...it's all meat from here on out. We are also learning clinical exam skills and will have a skills assessment the afternoon before our written assessment. Yesterday we learned the eye exam and I got to take out my opthalmoscope for the first time. We practiced on each other all afternoon and I was seeing spots for quite some time. This was the standard classmate greeting: "hey, you've got large pupils...can I look in your eye?"

After I got home Kadie graciously allowed me to shine an amazingly bright light into both her eyes multiple times. Then it was on to The Chi.

This is much harder than it looks.

Recuperation after multiple eye exams...

Friday afternoon I will be learning how to do the clinical skin exam. More fun for my 2 patients over the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment