Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Prison and Pig's Feet!


There were 2 exciting developments at school today.
#1) I found out that I am going to prison and
#2) I got to try suturing for the first time on pig's feet!

Prison. I knew that a rotation at a prison was possible so I gamely put in for the experience. You have to understand that at this point we don't even know where our 1st rotation in May will be, so finding out that I will do a rotation at the Federal Prison in Sheridan Oregon was huge. I have to fill out something like 19 bazillion forms and attend an orientation etc. so this is why I found out in advance. Gotta love the feds! I don't know when I'll be going, but at least I know that I'm going.

Suturing. Since this is the emergency medicine/surgery extravaganza month, we get to learn to suture. The last few days I've been learning to do the different knots and today was the first day of actual suturing. On pig's feet. Weird at first, but makes a lot of sense. The pig flesh is very similar to people flesh....I know, it's creepy. But hey, at least we are practicing on someone other than our classmates or patients.



No comments:

Post a Comment