Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strafed by a robin

As you know, I ride my bike to school every day. I do so for several reasons:
1) good exercise
2) it's a nice way to wake up in the morning
3) it's faster for me than taking the MAX

There are several things to be aware of to stay safe. Such as:
1) always watch out for sharp objects in the bike lane
2) wear high visibility clothing so that all the cars know you are there
3) garbage trucks can be problematic since they have to stop in the bike lane in order to do their thing
4) (this may be the most important) ALWAYS assume that a school bus is going to do something stupid right in front of you

Keeping these things in mind ensures that I arrive safe and sound at the health professions campus every morning.

Enter the robin....

"Do I look dangerous?"


Definition of a particular robin's flying style from wikipedia: "strafing is the practice of attacking ground targets from low-flying aircraft". Here I was riding along minding my own business when a robin almost flew directly into my head. And so I'm then thinking - what about the high-vis jacket, backpack, helmet? Certainly it saw me, I am very hard to miss....hmmm. Planned attack? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment